You need to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline to understand this… but it starts in 1980s culture, the time of the first MUDs thanks to Richard Bartlett and others. And continues on to the pervasive virtual worlds in 2044… And involves a Delorean. And a competition.
Try the “original” OASIS MUD prior to the development of the virtual world that follows… via http://enter-the-oasis.com/
- THE O.A.S.I.S. M.U.D.
- The Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation Multi-User Dimension
- Connect to the O.A.S.I.S. using Telnet or your favourite MUD Client software.
- IP ADDRESS: mud.enter-the-oasis.com
- PORT: 256
Aech’s Basement Chatroom in Second Life by Baldtraveller Shan
Photo of Aech’s Chatroom recreated by Baldtraveller Shan in Second Life, photo by Baldtraveller Shan. See Aech’s Basement Chatroom in Second Life – Ernie’s Blog – 11-Oct-2012. Located at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Archers/33/32/108
Some More Blog Posts About Ready Player One and Virtual Worlds
- Ready Player One Virtual World Chatroom Recreated in Second Life – New World Notes – Wagner James Au, 1-Oct-2012.
- Which World is More Like the OASIS of Ready Player One — Second Life or Metaplace? – New World Notes – Wagner James Au, 6-Sep-2013.
- Ready Player One – Aech’s Basement Chatroom in Second Life – Blog – Ai Austin,
- Ready Player One to be made into Warner Bros. Movie – Blog – New World Notes – Wagner James Au, 25-Jun-2014.