Prior to using the Oculus Rift DK2 headset, the firmware in the delivered headset must be updated to version 2.11 using the “Oculus Configuration Utility”. This also allows “per user” profiles to be set up to fine tune use of the headset. I tried the “A” lenses with and without my spectacles and the “B” lenses without spectacles and found the “B” set gave the crispest image for me.
The Oculus Rift DK2 specifications are at http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/
When testing the Second Life/OpenSim CtrlAltStudio Viewer and the current Linden Lab Oculus Rift Project Viewer(3.7.12 Build 292141) that were built for the Oculus Rift DK1 I did not manage to work out which display mode will allow those to operate yet. DK1 legacy mode had no effect, and various settings for display mirroring and extended desktop did not work.
Oculus Rift Headset for Second Life and OpenSimulator Avatars
In Second Life’s 1920s Berlin Oculus Rift demo region and on the OpenSimulator Conference Grid a wearable mesh Oculus Rift DK2 head set attachment is available… which if worn can be used to indicate you are in world in VR…
- OpenSim on OSGrid via HyperGrid – hop://login.osgrid.org/OpenVCE/120/105/23 – by Nebadon Izumi
- Second Life – http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s%20Berlin/249/213/751 – by Loki Eliot
Tuscany Via Demo and Stats
Oculus Rift Headset 3D Models
Image from William Burke
The 3D models of the Oculus Rift were provided for free use by William Burke (MannyLectro) via https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1514 and imported to OpenSim by Michael Cerquoni (Nebadon Izumi).
- Rift DK1 Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!esAhgKJQ!Uie5Tm2NANx6l90N9c0Z5G_GcCVm4wWlSHMupKdkYdU
- Rift DK2 Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!fwxjgYIQ!j63Ew7yoMclPYdpROMS1cB7gTvdhCSNL4qIpayl0Z50
- Complete Package Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!29Jn2CgQ!KbnWerPcMW4fFJPuR9AlS0gM7pByKK9HFOmgpiwqn5E
Supercar in Second Life and OpenSim via Oculus Rift (Window)
Helix Rollercoaster by ArchiVision
A good quick test that is working correctly in the DK2 is the Helix rollercoaster, but get the Helix_DK2_Beta.zip version or it will not work..
Image from ArchiVision