This page gathers together some resource descriptions and URL pointers for use of the High Fidelity virtual world platform, for both the Interface (viewer/client) and the Sandbox (domain server).
Interface – Default Scripts & Useful Additions
The default scripts provided by High Fidelity give the initial UI for the Interface client.
- Edit -> Stop all Scripts
- Edit -> Running Scripts -> Load Defaults (currently loads controllerScripts.js and defaultScripts.js that are part of the Interface distribution)
- Edit -> Running Scripts -> Use list at bottom to search for and load “chat” (system -> chat.js). This provides chat on the local domain (e.g. for nearby avatars). But note this is only useful if other users have the Chat script specifically enabled.
Many other scripts are available via the Edit -> Running Scripts dialogue.
Interface – Marketplace UI Extras
- Nametags: Marketplace -> search for Nametags. Click on this to “Get Item” for nametags.js and run this when asked. This script from ctrlaltdavid in the Scripts & Tools category can be added to provide name tags for avatars in your viewer only. [Link: nametags.js]
- Sign Board: Marketplace -> search for sign (“Sign Post Chat V1” is the current item). Click on this to “Get Item” for sign.js and run this when asked. This script from Menithal in the Scripts & Tools- category can be added to provide a board your avatar holds that can have messages added. This can assist in initial communications if voice is not working or in use, or if some direct visual means of communication is useful. [Link: sign.js]
- Double Click Teleport Script: Marketplace -> search for Teleport. Click on this to “Get Item” for doubleClickTP.js and run this when asked. Can be enabled and disabled in Navigate menu. [Link: doubleClickTP.js]
- AltCamera – HiFi Inspect – CtrlAltDavid’s inspect.js script enables you to move your view around, akin to Second Life using the “Alt” key with the mouse and “Ctrl” keys. See http://ctrlaltstudio.com/hifi/inspect [Link: inspect.js]
Avatars & Avatar Bookmarks
Avatars can be selected in the Marketplace -> Avatars category. Note that the avatar is local to a specific instance of the Interface client and not attached to an avatar log in name. Avatars usually have a file type of <avatar>.fst.
Avatars can be kept for reselection later under Avatar -> Bookmark Avatar.
Packaging Avatars for High Fidelity (FSX -> FST)
Enable ‘Advanced Menus’ under Settings > Advanced Menus. Go to Edit > Package Model.
Locations can be kept for reselection later under Navigate -> Bookmark Location.
Interface – Create Mode
The “Create” menu button in the Interface client provides edit mode for the domain you are on. The domain can be set to only allow the owner to change things, to allow anyone to edit, or to restrict editing to certain avatars. This is done in the Domain Server (Sandbox) Settings.
Scene – Useful Assets
- Zones & Skyboxes
- Full Moon Skybox by ryan. Place at <0,0,0>
- Ocean Skybox by AlphaVersionD – an animated ocean to surround your scene. Marketplace -> Shaders – > Ocean Skybox.
- Chairs with Sitting Scripts (various available, e.g. from Caitlyn).
- Looping Sound Emitter (e.g. also from Caitlyn).
My Mesh Test Assets
My own test meshes for trying complex mesh handling in High Fidelity ate in http://vue.ed.ac.uk/hifi/fbx/. The long term availability of these test meshes is not guaranteed, and all should be treated as for experimentation only, and not to be rehosted elsewhere.
Sandbox – Domain Server
Access to Settings is via http://localhost:40100/settings/.
After installing the Sandbox on a new server, the first thing that should be done is to enter Settings -> Security and put in place a login username and password. You might also restrict the editing and creation activity of the domain to one or two avatars in your team, leaving visitors just to be able to looks round and not create or edit entities.
Setting up a Theatre
High Fidleity provide a script which establishes a “Zaru Theater” as content on a High Fidelity domain. Instructions are given here.