I’ve recently been working on updating the apacheconf component to support Apache 2.4 on SL7. I think I now have it in reasonable shape and I’m not expecting any further major changes. The new version will be in the stable release on Wednesday 17th February.
The summary of the changes is on the LCFG wiki. For reference the original list of ideas are here. I’ve not spent any time (yet) on improving the nagios support. The multi-line verbatim support should be fine once I add the ¶ feature into the server as recently discussed.
I am planning to spend some time on improving the general documentation for the component including some basic recipes.
Any comments welcome. If you feel there is anything important I have missed out then now is your last chance to make suggestions for a while!
During our original project to port LCFG to SL7 we were only really considering desktops which typically have a single network interface. To get things working quickly we decided to stick with the “legacy” network device naming scheme which gives us interfaces named like eth0, eth1, eth2, etc. This works just fine with a single interface since we will only ever need access to eth0 but as we’ve moved onto adding network interface bonding for servers we have some discovered some problems. Many of our servers have two controllers each of which has two devices, for maximum reliability we wish to bond over one device from each controller. Traditionally we have done this by naming eth0 as the first device on the first controller and eth1 as the first device on the second controller. We have found with the legacy support on SL7 that this is not possible as they always come out as eth0 and eth2 (eth1 being the second device on the first controller) it seems that the ability to rename interfaces based on MAC address is not working correctly. Due to the way we have configured bonding in LCFG, for simplicity we really would like the two interfaces to continue to be named eth0 and eth1. To resolve this problem we have decided that it is now time to convert to the “modern” naming scheme as described in the Redhat network guide. The interfaces can then be aliased as eth0 and eth1 after they have been configured with their “consistent” names. This appears to work as desired but requires some changes be made in the LCFG headers and we will be working through this transition over the next few weeks. It is likely that the complete change to the default approach will have to wait until the SL7.2 upgrade to ensure we don’t break anything. The first step will be to move the “legacy” support out of the lcfg-level header (
lcfg/defaults/network.h) into the ed-level header, this will not have any impact for most users but makes it possible to easily enable and disable the naming schemes for testing purposes. New headers have been provided –
lcfg/options/network-modern-names.h – to make it easy to swap between the two naming schemes. Once we are confident that this modern approach is reliable we will update the various hardware support headers in the lcfg-level so that it works for the various server models we have in Informatics.
As discussed at the LCFG Annual Review meeting held in December we are planning to start work on updating the apacheconf component for apache 2.4 fairly soon. We will also be generally refactoring the whole thing. There is a wiki page which holds a collection of ideas for new features that would be nice to have and bugs that should be fixed. I’m currently doing some exploratory work to decide how to approach this week so this is the last chance to make suggestions. Please either add them to the wiki page (tag them with your name please) or email them to me directly.