web.inf mirror

While looking at the various drupal versions we have, I spotted that we had an old version on canny.inf (our www.inf DR mirror machine). A while a go I’d started setting it up to add a mirror of web.inf (drip), but obviously hadn’t quite finished it off.

So I’ve now got something going, that every four hours (when the normal www.inf DR copies are taken) it also rsync’s the data from web.inf and restores web.inf on canny.

At the moment, it was simpler to have the web mirror running on a non-standard port (I can’t remember why at the moment) so the DR copy of web.inf is actually http://dripped.inf.ed.ac.uk:8088/.

While doing this, I hit some problems with stopping and restarting MySQL, it was taking longer to start up/shutdown than expected and then it was restarted. Some things complained about mysql not being available. Co-incidentally Duncan from physics hit a similar problem, so some work may need to be done to make stopping and starting more robust. I’ll probably add a “dont do backup at stop” option too.