You can now find a summary of the responses to the Student Survey carried out last year.
We found the responses very helpful in planning and prioritising some changes which include:
1. Improved documentation
Our new documentation was announced recently – see http://computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk
2. Improving awareness of services e.g. afs, openvpn, vnc, student.compute
3. Looking into processing stats from labs to identify trends in usage.
4. Scheduling CO clinics in AT for taught students.
We got no response to our first attempt at running a CO clinic but will continue to consider other ways to engage with the student community.
5. Increasing default home directory space.
This has been announced.
6. We have introduced automated reporting to detect when mice and keyboards are missing and also to identify ‘dead’ machines.
7. The technicians are looking in to providing more power sockets in the labs. In the meantime, we ask that you do NOT unplug any DICE desktops. They are a shared resource and unplugging them is very frustrating to other users who are running background jobs! The machines will go to sleep when inactive but are designed to wake up to receive necessary updates when required.
If you have any further suggestions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact support.