High Fidelity (http://highfidelity.com) has been developing as a virtual world platform over the last 3 years and I have been experimenting with the platform since May 15th, 2014. It accepts mesh models in FBX format. My blog posts document progress in the testing of various complex mesh uploads. As Sansar (http://sansar.com) is now in open beta but still has some way to go to allow rich mesh and 3D model upload, I thought it would be a good time to try again several of my complex textured 3D mesh models, exported to FBX format in these platforms. Sansar still only will accept “single” objects, not multi-part models and is very particular about the UV mapping method and application of textures. So some testing of the models I use awaits multi-object upload capabilities in Sansar.
Most of these mesh models have been originated in .3ds, .max, .dae and other 3D modeller export formats and converted to FBX. A few arrived as FBX, e.g. from the NASA 3D models web site. Some are OpenSim regions exported as OpenSim Archives (OARs) and converted by the OARConv utility to Collada .dae to import into Unity3D. Many of the models are very complex, some with a quarter of a million triangles. All the meshes work fine in Unity3D and can be exported and used in the Sine Space virtual world too.
Here is a test today in High Fidelity (on our own hosted test domain) using Interface and Sandbox server 6946 on Windows 10. Most meshes import fine now with all textures intact and with the scale and size correct on first load. A few needed scale adjustments.
Some NASA 3D Model meshes when exported as FBX also work fine…
Some meshes related to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey and other space related 3D model content (credits to the modellers below)…
More Gerry Anderson Meshes especially Mateen Greenway’s 3D Studio Max models converted to FBX…
And a prim-originated “I-Room” imported to test transparency on the windows using a small .png texture.
3D Model Credits
Using Open Source models…
- Gerry Anderson Supercar 3D model by Mick Imrie and Austin Tate. http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/GA/supercar-3d.html
- Fireball XL5, Space City, Stingray and Marineville models by Mateen Greenway. http://mateengreenway.com/anderson/anderson.htm
- Gerry Anderson related models were provided from the Sketchup 3D Warehouse – Gerry Anderson. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?q=gerry+anderson – Space:1999 Eagle by Ian W; Thunderbird 3 by Ian W.; Thunderbird 5 by Simon C.; and Fireball XL5 by Simon C.
- 2001 Space Station model by Filipe. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=c366c7b8cfb421aa9418034e1a79cc74
- 2001 Orion III PanAm Shuttle model by Daniel M. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=5bc74dc59873a76672da1ed59e4067e
- Space Shuttle, with cargo bay doors open and ISS Unity docking module by Byr2008. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=a6de6072688fd85a4fd7ac06e4eeec32
- Lockheed SR-71 modeks by mandun – 3DWarehouse Collada Model. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=118de069ccdf7f987fa1fc98ee7e38b3
- North American X-15A-2 and X-15A-2 models by TaffGoch – 3DWarehouse Collada Models. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/a3a3a3d2ccc590eeaef99de91a3e555/X-15-1 and https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=1aebf3a6c6217e71c82662dd645cd47e
- Huey Droid from Silent Running by Martin T. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=67811e2a8b51e19b28a9ffe1f7694d3b
- The Open Source Blender Project “Sintel” avatar has been used in a number of open source projects and a version is available to use as an avatar or character in Unity. E.g. from http://u3d.at.ua/ where you need to register before being able to obtain the free download.