Ruth2 and Roth2 are low-poly mesh avatar bodies, specifically designed for Opensimulator and Second Life. They are built to use standard Second Life UV maps using scratch-built open source mesh bodies by Shin Ingen with other open source contributions from the OpenSimulator Community.
Previously referred to as Ruth 2.0 and Roth 2.0, the preferred project names going forward from January 2020 is Ruth2 and Roth2.
This page provides links and resources relating to these developments…
- Discord Discussion Forum: RuthAndRoth [Invite]
- MeWe Community Page: https://mewe.com/group/5bbe0189a5f4e57c73569fb9
- Github Repository: https://github.com/RuthandRoth/Ruth
(Previous Ruth Repositories: Outworldz, ingen-lab)
- GitHub Organization (Team): https://github.com/RuthAndRoth
- Github Repository: https://github.com/RuthandRoth/Ruth
- Second Life:
- Second Life Group: “RuthAndRoth” (free to join) – Group name place holder.
- Second Life Group: “Ruth and Roth Community” (free to join) – Most active and recommended for use.
- Second Life Marketplace Store: RuthAndRoth
- Ruth 2.0 and Roth 2.0 – Bakes on Mesh (BoM) versions:
Second Life Marketplace: Ruth 2.0 RC#3 (RuthToo), Roth 2.0 RC#1 (RothToo)
Second Life Inworld Store: Blumfield – Sean Heavy
- OSGrid Inworld Location: hop://hg.osgrid.org:80/RuthAndRoth/134/124/26
- OSGrid OpenSim Group: “RuthAndRoth” (free to join)
- OpenSim Kitely Market: RuthAndRoth Store (products not currently listed)
“Roth 2.0” is the male mesh avatar, also under development, and resources for it can be reached via the same URLs as Ruth 2.0.
Ruth2 and Roth2 Development
Ada Radius has documented the armature and rigging details for Ruth2 and Roth2 meshes in Blender 2.81 and the process for bringing the meshes over to Second Life and OpenSim:
Serie Sumei has documented the protocols used in scripts between HUDs and the mesh bodies and attachments at https://serie-ous.style/ss/ruth/hud/protocol
RuthAndRoth on OSGrid
Home Region: hop://hg.osgrid.org:80/RuthAndRoth/134/124/26
Other Repositories and Versions
- Fred Beckhusen’s Outworldz Ruth GitHub Copy which is now our of date.
- Shin Ingen’s ingen-lab GitHub Copy which is no longer maintained
- Sean Heavy’s RuthToo Github Copy and inworld location – login.digiworldz.com:8002/DigiWorldz Hyper Mall” – (36, 236, 22) (Store #2)
- Taarna Welles is developing a modified Roth lower mesh body to improve the usability for clothing. https://github.com/RuthAndRoth/Ruth/tree/master/Contrib/Taarna%20Welles
Ruth and Roth in Second Life
The first people to take Ruth into Second Life were Chimera Firecaster and Sundance Haiku… see http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gamma/20/80/1401
Sean Heavy has imported his Ruth Too (based on the Ruth RC#3 DevKit) and the R2 Extras into Second Life… see http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blumfield/116/165/28 [Current at 18-Oct-2019]
Ruth2 and Roth2 Shopping Sites
- Second Life:
- Blumfield – Sean Heavy – http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blumfield/116/165/28
- Bakes on Mesh (BoM) versions from Sean Heavy – Second Life Marketplace:
- Duck Girl – Mesh Clothing for Ruth 2.0 – Second Life Marketplace [Inworld Store]. Use the “Ruth” versions where provided, or try the “Altamura” or “Maitreya” versions for close fit otherwise.
[Ruth 2.0 versus Altamura and Maitreya Mesh Comparison Image]
- Lily Swindlehurst’s Helping Haven Gateway – Mesh Clothing for Ruth2 and Roth2
- Sweet’s Ruth 2.0 BoM Bento Mesh Body by Sweet Lynwood
- RebelSpirit/Blackstorm Clothing: Join the (free) group (Phoenix & Blackstorm – P&B RebelSpirit) and use the vendor on the second floor of the store to choose from a wide selection of clothing… http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Les%20Champs%20Elysees/85/27/30.
- ingen lab – Shin Ingen – ingen-lab.com:8002:ingen lab [offline in March 2019]
- ingen lab – Shin Ingen – login.digiworldz.com:8002:ingen lab [offline in March 2019]
- OSGrid – Wright Plaza – Sean Heavy – login.osgrid.org:Wright Plaza/210/17/21
- DigiWorldz – Hyper Mall – Sean Heavy – login.digiworldz.com:8002:Hyper Mall
- Luv Grid – Luv Plaza – Hyacinth Jewell – grid.hgluv.com:8302:Luv Plaza
- Luv Grid – Bombshell – Sean Heavy – grid.hgluv.com:8302:Bombshell
- Lorulei – Ruth 2.0 Skin & Fashion Store – artdestiny.eu:8002:Tryloria
- Lorulei and more free Ruth stuff in Kroatan – kroatan.de:8002:Needful Things
- In-world location for Ruth 2.0 and Roth 2.0 clothing by Emmalena Damour (EDD):
Clothing and Undergarment Onion Layers & HUDs:
HG Ocean Waves Mall II: hop://login.digiworldz.com:8002/Serene%20Vineyard%20Island/112/148/39
- Manwa Pstorelli’s Covey Stores with Ruth2 and Roth2 clothing and items on the Fire and Ice Grid – avatar: Admin Diamond – hop://fireandicegrid.net:8002/Covey Stores/133/128/23
- Luna Lunaria’s Lunaria Emporium – hop://ourgrid.life:80:Lunaria%20Emporium/128/128/23
Ruth 2.0 and Roth 2.0 Statistics
A separate blog post gives some information on the triangle and vertices count for the various elements of the Ruth 2.0 and Roth 2.0 meshes, as well as their “Complexity” as reported by virtual world viewers.
Helpful note from Fred Beckhusen (aka Ferd Frederix) about using skin textures that have PNG alpha channel (transparency) information…
On textures there is a setting called Alpha Blend. Look in the viewer and select each texture and there is a pulldown that can set the alpha channel to None, Blending, Cutoff or Emissive.
None is the same as JPG, which does not support Alpha.
Alpha Blend is the default setting for PNG files. The alpha channel can be from 0 to 100% alphaed on any pixel. It has the famous glitch problem where textures swap back and forth.
Alpha Mask displays a cutoff value, which sets a level where any blended pixel above a value is solid, and everything below is alphed 100%. It does not have the alpha glitch.
Emissive means anything with an alpha value will glow based on the alpha channel. Its useful for many things, having lights in the side of spaceships that glow because of the texture, and not using prims.
Mesh complexity statistics for a range of mesh bodies in Second Life have been recorded by Cassie Middles… Mesh Body Reviewpalooza…
Serie Sumei is looking at GitHub repository restructuring and developing improved HUD scripts and more flexible processes for creating HUDs and Ruth/Roth parts.
Advice on 3D painting for clothing items onto Ruth/Second Life Avatar meshes in Blender and Photoshop…
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 12:25:35 -0800
From: Fred Beckhusen
Subject: How to import mesh into Photoshop for creating clothing?
You should start with the SL avatars from my website that are already set up for Photoshop. They are standard avatars. You can do almost the same with these as you can do with Ruth and it shows you what Ruth mesh should be set for. There are also many skin sets there, as well as here in the Ruth Repo.
Get “SL Avatars set up for Photoshop 0.6 MB zip”
To convert Ruth to this format, I think you would just go into Blender, set for Object mode, and sweep select with the right mouse all the mesh for the head. Then link it with Ctrl-J. Then edit the head (tab key) and set it to just one Material. Repeat for the middle parts (upper) and then below the waist (lower) so it looks like this model, with just three materials. Export it as a DAE and load it into Photoshop.
I never had much luck with Photoshop for skin editing. It was always far too low res in PS5, and I never could find a way to improve it. It was much easier to paint in flat form and constantly click Refresh in Blender to see how it looked. I now use Blender mostly, and all of my ‘good’ Avatar work is in Substance painter.
Damian Zhaoying pointed us at the Spanish-language Community gatelway Program and its “Ayuda” Virtual” region in Second Life…
There are many freely available clothing and other items there which may be suitable for Ruth And Roth. Maitreya and Classic Avatar fitmesh often work fine with a bit of body shape adjustment or use of alpha layers.
In Second Life, you could try Kastle Rock Couture for some free mesh clothing via the Lucky Chairs…
On 30-Dec-2029 Sean Heavy wrote on the RuthAndRoth Discord channel…
I published my very first YouTube tutorial. It’s a very basic HowTo get a minimal RuthTooRC3 into SL or OS from GitHub.