This blog post is to provide resources and access links for Meta (meta.com – previously Facebook) and its Metaverse developments.
Announcement at Facebook Connect 2021 on 28th October 2021: Mark Zuckerberg Talk (YouTube):
Keynote by John Carmack at Facebook Connect 2021:
- Meta – YouTube Channel, Twitter
- Facebook Reality Labs Videos
- Other video presentations at Connect 2021.
- Ars Technica Commentary on John Carmack Keynote on 29th October 2021.
- Raph Koster musings on the Oculus sale to Facebook in 2014 and Metaverse futures… still applies in 2021.
- Blog Post on Meta by David Burden (Daden) on 29th October 2021.
- Blog Post on “Meta Isn’t New. The Future Started in 2003” (with Second Life) by Phaylen Fairchild on 30th October 2021.
- Wikipedia – Metaverse (and timeline of Virtual Worlds)
- Teleporting between Second Life and OpenSimulator – Experiments – 2008 – Open Grid Protocol (Linden Lab Wiki Page)
- Second Life, OpenSimulator, Firestorm Viewer, Firestorm VR Mod
- Wishlist for Next Gen Virtual World – Blog Post by Austin Tate, 4th April 2015.
- Open Metaverse – the OpenSimulator Contribution – Blog Post by Austin Tate, 14th September 2015.
Social Web + Virtual World + Content + People
Austin Tate Briefing on I-Room and its Applications to Operations Centres and Simulated Training, 29-Aug-2015 [PDF of Presentation]
A sense of presence across platforms and experiences is identified as an important aspect of the metaverse/virtual worlds. We have done work on Virtual Distributed Collaboration across platforms and reported on some experience of experiments in this area in the following paper:
Tate, A., Hansberger, J.T., Potter, S. and Wickler, G. (2014) Virtual Collaboration Spaces: Bringing Presence to Distributed Collaboration, Journal of Virtual Worlds Research, Assembled Issue 2014, Volume 7, Number 2, May 2014 [PDF Format].