Informatics' Equality and Diversity Blog

February 20, 2017

1 Day Without Us

Filed under: Events,Race (protected characteristic) — hwalker2 @ 12:46 pm

Informatics InternationalInformatics has celebrated ‘1 Day Without Us’, the National Day of Action to celebrate the contribution of migrants to the UK, with a coffee morning.

Staff and postgraduate students also gathered in the Atrium of the Forum on Friday for photographs to celebrate our diversity.

Prof Bob Fisher summed up the feelings of many when he circulated an email saying: “I know that there are a lot of external controversies about immigration. I’ve been here a long time and always felt welcome by the people I’ve met and enjoyed seeing how our diversity has grown. I want to say how proud I am of my colleagues and the working environment in Informatics and the University. Informatics is a very diverse group of people, and that’s part of what makes it an effective as well as interesting place to work. Informatics celebrates our diversity. Irrespective of the political storms outside (which come and go), the University continues to do the right thing: create and disseminate knowledge, prepare the next generation at all levels.”

Thanks to Kyriakos Kalorkoti (KK) for the photo and Kasia Kokowska, Ségo Gallus and Effie McDonald for the delicious cookies, cheesecake and scones.

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI