Subversion component

January 26, 2009

As mentioned in the previous post, recently I have been working on providing WebDAV access to the LCFG subversion repository. Part of getting this done was extending the LCFG subversion component so that it can generate authorization files which could be used by WebDAV, it now does this and creates a file named webdav_authz in the svn base directory (e.g. /var/svn). At the same time I took the opportunity to rewrite the component into Perl, this has been on my todo list for quite a while because the shell version was suffering from the limit on number of variables. We have not hit this in Informatics but IS were certainly seeing this problem and it was only a matter of time before it did affect our subversion servers. It’s amazing how many minor bugs I found in the code I had added previously to support doing database dumps. Thankfully nothing serious but a few assumptions which should not have been hardcoded. I’ve written up some notes on the LCFG subversion component which covers the new features. The latest version of the package is not yet installed as the default, in the meantime you can download the package if you have sufficient access rights. It uses a slightly different version of the schema which works fine with the stable version of the subversion component if you need to run both on different machines.