After improving support for Apache authentication in the LCFG server I have moved onto the client this week. The bulk of the work has been focused on the creation of a new
LCFG::Client::Fetcher module which encapsulates all the details associated with fetching XML profiles from various sources. As well as improving the authentication support I am taking the chance to overhaul a chunk of code which has not seen much love in either of the v3 or v4 projects. One particular issue is that currently the handling of the list of profile sources is spread around the client libraries, this means that even a small change can involve locating and altering many separate small pieces of code. This general work also includes adding support for IPv6, enhancing SSL security as well as making the code much more maintainable.
One big change in approach I’ve made is that the lists of local file and remote web server sources are now handled in a unified way where previously they were dealt with completely separately. The new Fetcher module has a single list of source objects (either
LCFG::Client::Fetch::Source::Remote) which come from the value of the
client.url resource. One advantage here is that it is now trivial to add an entirely new type of source (e.g. rsync or ldap) anything with an
LWP::Protocol module is a possibility. When configured to use both local files and remote sources the client has always preferred local files where possible, this behaviour is retained by using a priority system with file sources being guaranteed to have a higher default priority than any remote source.
The other part of recent development work is the addition of support for different authentication mechanisms. This is supported via modules in the
LCFG::Client::Fetch::Auth namespace, currently we have modules for basic (username/password) and gssapi authentication. As with the new source modules this approach means it is easy to support alternative mechanisms, including site-specific needs which might not be appropriate for merging into the upstream code base. Before making a request the Fetcher will call the relevant authentication module to initialise the environment. I am also working on supporting multiple mechanisms so that if one fails the next will be tried until one succeeds.
Most of the code for the client is now in place and I am working on documentation for the various new modules. Once that is done I need to consider how the necessary authentication information can make it from LCFG resources into the rdxprof application via the LCFG client component. Although I would rather not make such a big change it might be that I finally need to bite the bullet and rewrite the client component from bash into Perl.