Simon's Musings

February 21, 2008

UKUUG Files and Backups Seminar

Filed under: Uncategorized — sxw @ 12:00 am
Tags: , ,

As previously trailed, I presented as part of this year’s UKUUG Files and Backups Seminar on the 19 Feb. My talk, on  OpenAFS, was a revised and extended version of the paper Craig and I wrote, and I presented at UKUUG’s Spring Conference the year before. Whilst that paper concentrated on Informatics’ experience in deploying OpenAFS, the seminar talk was far more outwards facing, discussings the pitfalls and benefits of any OpenAFS deployment across many different types of organisation. A copy of the slides is available from the UKUUG web site.

Both days of the seminar were a very interesting opportunity to take part in a number of focussed discussions about storage issues, as they affect a wide variety of different businesses. Charles Curran’s discussion of CERN’s data management issues (with LHC producing around 15PB of data every day) was a hilarious tour through the issues involved in managing vast amounts of experimental data, and Kern Sibbald’s talk on Bacula was a fascinating discussion of what must be the industry’s leading Open Source backup technology. Kern and I had a chat afterwards about the issues involved in making Bacula AFS aware, such that it could easily handle both backup, and restoration of files from AFS volume dumps.

Theme: Rubric.