(This is just a copy of the mail I sent to staff and students earlier in the week but with an additional item about the need to turn off self managed and admin office machines).
As previously advised, work being carried out in connection with the new student centre means that there will be no mains power in the Forum on Saturday 14th April. This will result in the majority of Informatics IT services being unavailable. Affected IT services will be shut down late on the afternoon of Friday 13th April. If the current UCU Action Short Of a Strike is still in place, services will be restored on the morning of Monday 16th April. If the dispute has been resolved most services should be restored on the Sunday.
During the period of the power down, the following services will be unavailable:
- Most group, Plone and institute web servers (see https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/Forum14thApril2018, https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/PloneWebServerPowerDown20180413 and https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/GroupsWebServerPowerDown20180413 for details)
- wiki.inf, blog.inf and homepages.inf
- All group AFS and NFS file space.
- A large number of research and teaching servers. See https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/RATUnitIFPowerdown0413 for details.
- Svn, git and gerrit repositories
The following services will remain available throughout the power down period:
- Home directories
- Mail, both incoming and outgoing.
- Printing in Appleton Tower (cloud queues only)
- Computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk (where any changes in status over the period of downtime will be notified)
DICE managed office machines will be shut down automatically shortly after midnight but all other self-managed office machines should be shut down by their users in advance of the power going off. Managed Windows desktops in admin offices should also be shut down before going home on Friday.
If you have any questions about any of this, please contact computing support using the support form linked from the front page of Computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk.