As previously advised, the new Forum server room UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) will be connected to the server rooms on Saturday the 20th of July. This will necessitate the powering down of all machines in the Forum server rooms, and therefore the loss of the Informatics services provided by those machines.
It is probably safest to assume that all services will be affected all day Saturday, but some AFS file space and some other services should remain available. Below is a list of services that will definitely be unavailable, and some which should remain working (by virtue of being housed in either Appleton Tower or KB). A service not listed below does not mean it definitely will or will not be available!
The self-managed server rooms will lose power at 7:30am, moving onto the main server rooms about 11am (though machines will be shutdown from 10am). Services will be brought back online once the power work is complete. There may be false starts and extra reboots as machines install updates. We’d hope all will be restored by 6pm.
List of services that will definitely be unavailable:
- pp.inf.ed.ac.uk – password changes will not be possible
- half of xrdp.inf.ed.ac.uk
- staff.compute.inf.ed.ac.uk – shutdown on Friday
- student.login.inf.ed.ac.uk – shutdown on Friday
- gresley, huldra, kraken, peppercorn, riddles
Use “fs whereis <path>” to see if a particular “path” is on a particular server. eg:
> fs whereis ~neilb
File /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/n/neilb is on host kraken.inf.ed.ac.uk
So my home directory would be unavailable during the power work.
Other websites that serve data from affected AFS serves will also be down.
List of notable services that should remain up:
- mail.inf.ed.ac.uk (lists and forwarding to staffmail/Office 365)
- ssh.inf.ed.ac.uk aka student.ssh.inf.ed.ac.uk (though if your home directory is affected, this will be of little use)
- www.inf.ed.ac.uk (though in readonly mode, publishing will stop working around 9am)